Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Phone Line Trail

It's been awhile since my last post, so that was the only excuse I needed to head to Sabino Canyon to take pictures. The day proved to be perfect for a hike starting out in the mid 70s this morning, climbing to mid 80s in the afternoon. I wanted to hike the Phone Line Trail, which for people not knowing the area, this trail is along the side of the canyon wall.  Not sure of elevation change from the valley floor, but about halfway up the side of the mountain. The trail is about 4.5 miles long one way.  Knowing I would not be able to hike both ways, I copped out and took the tram to the farthest point, then took the next 2 3/4 hours hiking back to the beginning.

Here are some of what I experienced along the way. This is looking to where I need to go - the trail is along the side of the left about 1/2 way up the mountain, all the way through the canyon.

The buds are showing up on the Saquaro.
There were some wildflowers still hanging on.
Came up to this thistle with the puffed heads and blooms with threatening long spikes.

 Surprising, the wildflowers that were still present were quite small and delicate.
A nice couple stopped and offered to take my picture when I rested on a rock enjoying the beautiful scenery - wanted to prove that I was really there.
 There were several butterflies gracing the trail along with me.
 Most of the blossoms are on the cactus now, such as this one on a cholla.
 It's a bug's life enjoying a Mexican Poppy.

 As you can see, the flowers are starting to dry out.
 Another cholla bloom.
Ran into a friend along the way.
The hike was a little longer than my usual treks, but it was well worth it. I always enjoy nature especially when I am able to photograph flowers. But it's coming to the time of the year that the temperatures will prohibit mid-day hikes, so either I will be on the trail at daybreak or need to travel somewhere to find cooler temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments. Enjoy hearing from our readers. If you do not have a Google account just select Name/ULR under "Comment As" and enter your name, then publish your comment.